The Witcher‘s newest fantasy series, starring Henry Cavill, is released on Netflix today, Friday, December 20, 2019. For fans of the fantasy series who want to know more about The Witcher, here is a brief guide to pursuing what needs to be known before watching it, as written in the Netflix press release.
Some Fact About The Witcher SERIES
- The Witcher series is Netflix’s first original fantasy series
- There are 8 episodes in The Witcher series, each lasting 1 hour
- The Witcher series is adapted from a novel, not from games
- The Witcher series Created by female showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (the brain behind various popular series such as The Umbrella Academy, Marvel’s Daredevil, and Marvel’s The Defenders )
- Filming locations of The Witcher series in 4 countries: Hungary, Poland, Austria and Spain (Canary Islands)
- Henry Cavill is an original fan of the novel The Witcher! The Witcher’s Netflix series began work on in September 2017
- The big theme of The Witcher series is destiny and family
Synopsis The Witcher Series
Adapted from Andrzej Sapkowski’s best-selling fantasy novel, The Witcher tells the story of Geralt from Rivia, a mercenary killer who struggles to find his true self.
As a hitman, Geralt often sees that humans can be crueller than monsters, and this makes him realize that good and evil are not that easy to judge. As time goes on, destiny will bring Geralt to Yennefer of Vengerberg – a very powerful witch and Princess Cirilla – a royal princess who carries a big secret. The three of them also had to fight against the chaos in the Continent.
The Main Character
- Henry Cavill as Geralt from Rivia Freya
- Allan as the Character Princess
- Anya Chalotra as Yennefer from Vengerberg
- Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe
- Björn Hlynur Haraldsson as King Eist Tuirseach
- Adam Levy as Mousesack
- MyAnna Buring as Tissaia de Vries.
The Witcher continent is centred in a place called the Continent – a new world formed by mysterious cosmic events. This incident was also called the “Conjunction of the Universe” and occurred about 1,500 years before the story began in the first episode.
Some famous places on the Continent: Cintra: The royal family home of Cintran, including Queen Calanthe and Princess Cirilla, who are famous for their strong military forces and wise leadership. Cintra is an area that separates the northern part.
The Continent of the Nilfgaardian Kingdom
- Aretuza: Located on Thanedd Island, Temeria, Aretuza is an academy place for witches and a powerful institution.
- Nilfgaard: A kingdom in the southern part of the continent that has ambitions to control more areas, and now they are starting to move north.
Some Inhabitants of the Continent, besides humans:
- Beasts: Including Kikimora (spider-shaped swamp monsters who love to kidnap and kill small children) and Striga (humans who turn into monsters, but can be returned to their original form).
Elf: Exiled race. They have the appearance of humans, but with pointed ears and a longer life.
- Witches: Wizards can live up to hundreds of years, or even forever. They had a great influence on politics through the Magician Faction. Dryad: Female occupant and protector of the Brokilon Forest. The Witcher Geralt
- Geralt of Rivia: Killer mercenaries – the result of mutations that increase his ability in speed, strength, endurance, and night vision. The side effect of this mutation is Geralt’s white hair.
- Princess Cirilla or Traits: The granddaughter of the queen of Calanthe, known as the Lion Child of Cintra. Traits always want to be separated from the strict royal life, but instead are trapped in a brutal world and must lose the people they know in one night. There is a big secret stored in him that will change his life.
- Yennefer from Vengerberg: Not born beautiful but very strong, Yennefer trained at Aretuza to become the greatest magician in the academy. Many see Yennefer as a cruel and manipulative figure, but it is all just an outward covering his fragile side. As more and more chaos on the Continent, Yennefer must learn to trust and rely on the people closest to him.
- Renfri: The princess who is on the run and is predicted to be one of the girls who will destroy civilization.
- Princess Calanthe: “Female lion of Cintra”, strong fighter, and grandmother Ciri.
- Tissaia: Mentor Yennefer at Aretuza. Tissaia is a strict and disciplined figure towards her students, but her character will change and develop along with the story.
- Jaskier: a Street singer who is Geralt’s loyal friend.